|CODAR’s Recommended List
Many excellent presentations are expected at the upcoming Oceans ’12 MTS/
IEEE Hampton Roads. Here is a select list of those having some connection to
HF radar (especially SeaSonde) that are considered “must-attend” by
CODAR staff. We hope to see you in the audience!
Session 4.4 Coastal Radars / Tues. 16 October / 1:30 - 2:50 PM / Room MR 2C
• Hugh Roarty: Automated quality control of high frequency radar data (120514-003).
• Chad Whelan: Automatic calibrations for improved quality assurance of coastal HF radar currents (120601-066).
• Mike Muglia: Identifying the shoreward Gulf stream front at Cape Hatteras with coastal ocean radar surface currents
• Theresa Updyke: A study of surface currents in the coastal ocean outside Chesapeake Bay using high frequency radars
operating at multiple frequencies (120518-149).
Session HR5 - Integrated Ocean Observing - Regional IOOS 1 / Tues. 16 October / 1:30 - 2:50 PM / Room MR 1C
• Gerhard Kuska: Raising the bar in the mid-Atlantic: moving MARACOOS observations to next generation forecasting and
product development (120518-108).
• Clifford Merz: Evolution of the USF/CMS CODAR and WERA HF radar network (120518-115).
Session 4.4 Coastal Radars / Tues. 16 October / 3:20 - 5:00 PM / Room MR 2C
• Colin Evans: Examination of the SeaSonde wave processing parameters and the effects of shallow water on wave
• Calvin Teague: Findings on the estimation of wind turbine RCS and its effect on 13.5 MHz radars (120517-039).
Session HR3 Wind Marine Renewable Energy- Wind / Tues. 16 October / 3:20 - 5:00 PM / Room MR 2B
• Hugh Roarty: Analysis of the wind resource off New Jersey for offshore wind energy development (120515-001).
Session 4.4 Coastal Radars / Wed. 17 October / 8:20 -9:40 AM / Room MR 2C
• Emanuele Rognoli: Surface flow dynamics within an exposed wind-driven bay: combined HFR observations and model
Session 3.41 Systems and Observatories / Wed. 17 October / 8:20 - 9:40 AM / Room MR 4B
• Scott Glenn: Impact of Ocean Observatories on hurricane forecasts in the mid-Atlantic (120518-083).
Session HR3 Marine Renewable Energy- Waves 3 / Wed. 17 October / 3:20 - 5:00 PM / Room MR 2B
• Hugh Roarty: Expanding the coverage of HF radar through use of wave powered buoys (120514-004).
Session 5.6 Data Assimilation / Thursday 18 October / 8:20 - 9:40 AM / Room MR 3E
• Emanuele Ragnoli: An optimal interpolation scheme of HFR current data into a numerical ocean model (120518-032).
• Alan Blumberg: Impact of assimilating high frequency radar surface currents on the fidelity of a middle Atlantic bight
circulation model (120531-023).